On September 29th, UroMed proudly sponsored the Spina Bifida Association of Kentucky’s Walk-N-Roll at the Norton Commons neighborhood in Louisville, Kentucky. The one mile walk was designed to create awareness for Spina Bifida and earn funds for SBAK to further research and education. After the walk, participants were treated to a lunch and carnival! UroMed representative Alex Wilson was on hand to promote UroMed and answer questions. The event had a huge turnout of participants and raised over $50,000!
About Spina Bifida Association of Kentucky
Spina Bifida Association of Kentucky’s mission is to promote the prevention of Spina Bifida and to enhance the lives of all affected. SBAK is a resource center for children, their families and adults affected by Spina Bifida. SBAK educates parents how to be the best advocate for their children, and helps children and adults overcome physical, learning, and social challenges to become successful and independent. For more information, visit, www.sbak.org.
About Spina Bifida
Spina Bifidia is the most common permanently disabling birth defect in the United States. It occurs when the spine of the baby fails to close during the first months of pregnancy. The effects of Spina Bifida are different for each person but often include paralysis. There is no known cause, or cure, because the nerve and spinal damage is permanent.
Did you know:
- Each day in the United States, an average of 8 babies are born with Spina Bifida or a similar defect of the brain or spine.
- An estimated 166,000 people with Spina Bifida currently live in the United States.
- Hispanic mothers are 1-1/2 times more likely to give birth to a child with Spina Bifida than non-Hispanic Caucasians.
Source: Spina Bifida Association
People with Spina Bifida potentially face additional medical challenges, including:
- Latex Allergies Research studies have shown that up to 73% of children and adolescents with Spina Bifida are sensitive to latex. Learn more about latex allergies and spina bifida here.UroMed carries a complete line of Latex-Free products for patients with latex sensitivities.
- Urological Problems According to the Spina Bifida Association, the urologic care of children with Spina Bifida has undergone several important changes in the last decade. The emphasis is now on early catherization of the child’s lower urinary tract function and preventive treatment to preserve both kidney and bladder function in an attempt to maximize the child’s long-term health. UroMed provides only the highest quality catheters and medical supplies from the leading name brand urology and incontinence supply manufacturers to help parents and caregivers with the most effective and reliable products for their child’s care.
UroMed provides links to the following educational resources for patients, caregivers and medical professionals to help increase awareness, support and assistance for people affected by Spina Bifida.
About UroMed Community Giving
UroMed is honored to support numerous charities nationwide in the communities that we serve.
We focus our community efforts on three primary areas:
- Condition-related associations that focus on education, awareness and support
- Sports programs for the disabled
- Leadership and motivational programs for disabled youth
Additionally, many of our employees volunteer their time and efforts at various community events. Many of our employees have a personal connection to the following non-profit organizations, as 20% of our customer care associates either has a disability or has a family member with a disabling condition.
Please contact us if you would like to invite UroMed to sponsor your organization or event.