LASCI Visits Spinal Cord Injury Patients at Summa Rehabilitation Hospital
On August 1st, 2012, UroMed’s spinal cord injury support group, Life After Spinal Cord Injury (LASCI) hosted a motivational seminar for newly injured SCI patients at Summa Rehab Hospital in Ohio. The event, led by LASCI founder Bert Burns, focused on how to live a full life after a spinal cord injury. Bert spoke about his experience as a Paralympic gold medalist and entrepreneur, and gave insights on:
- Sports and
- Bladder/Bowel Management.
The event was attended by professionals and patients alike and some even shared their stories of hope and recovery. One young man had a spinal cord injury but is now able to walk with the use of a cane while another gentleman, injured in a 4-wheeling accident, had his house rebuilt thanks to students at the high school where he used to coach! After the program, UroMed representative Vicki Sizer answered questions that participants had.
About Summa Rehab Hospital
Summa Rehab Hospital, a joint venture between Summa Health System and Vibra Healthcare, is a 60-bed acute medical facility providing a rehabilitation regiment based on the specific needs of each patient. The freestanding facility is dedicated to inpatient rehabilitation by a multidisciplinary team comprised of physicians, nurses, physical, occupational, speech and recreational therapists and case management workers.
Summa has installed and implemented the most current technologies available in the rehabilitation field, including:
- Body weight supported treadmill training and therapy for locomotor recovery
- Active assisted motion technology for upper and lower limb recovery
- Vital stimulation for swallowing
- Car transfer simulation system
Highlights of the freestanding, fully-dedicated rehabilitation hospital:
- All private rooms with private baths on two levels
- Rehab gym totaling more than 5,000 square feet with two-story elevation, natural light for improved health and quality of life
- Private treatment space on two levels
- Outdoor therapeutic ambulatory patio with various ambulatory surfaces
- Bariatric rooms with overhead lift device to support 1,000 pounds
- Bedside dialysis capability in all rooms
- ADL suite – bath, bedroom, kitchen and living space
- Day rooms located on two levels dedicated for patients, families and visitors
- In-house radiology suite and pharmacy
- Patient-specific e-Rehab outcomes data
- Electronic Medical Records (EMR)
- Classroom for community programming
- On-site durable medical equipment and prosthetic services
For more information, visit www.summarehabhospital.com.
Life After Spinal Cord Injury [SCI] is a motivational program created by UroMed to assist people with disabilities, rehabilitation programs, medical education seminars and other community events. UroMed founder, Bert Burns, started LASCI as a way to reach out to others through public speaking because, more than anything, he wants to give other people in wheelchairs the same encouragement that he has received.
If you’d like to attend one of Bert’s upcoming engagements, please visit our Events calendar on our Facebook page. And feel free to contact us to invite Bert to participate in your program.